Super Nutritious Kale Salad With Barley, Garlic, and Feta
In just a few decades, the cruciferous veggie kale has gone from relative obscurity to superstar status. Considered one of nature’s greatest “superfood” by many doctors, kale is jam-packed with vital nutrients and minerals that can help you reduce your risk for diseases like cancer and dementia. Plus, kale’s not all that bad tasting, especially if you know how to dress it up.
If you can’t stand the taste of kale but still want to take advantage of its nutrient-dense profile, you should try out this salad recipe. With barley as the second main ingredient and a citrusy salad dressing, you’ll barely notice the taste of the kale leaves in this healthy lunch. Just so you know, the recipe below is ideal for four servings.
• About 5 cups of sliced kale.
• 2 shallots or 1 red onion, sliced.
• 1 cup of el dente cooked barley.
• ½ cup of cooked lentils.
• ½ cup of crumbled blue cheese.
• ¼ cup of goji berries.
• A handfull of pumpkin seeds.
• The juice of one lemon.
• 2 cloves of garlic, chopped.
• 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
• 1 tablespoon of raw honey.
• 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar.
1. Mix all of the ingredients for the salad dressing in a small bowl.
2. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the salad.
3. Pour the salad dressing into the larger bowl and mix around with tongs or a spoon.
4. Place the salad in the fridge for about one hour before serving.